Blog

Five Pet Poisons That May Already Be in Your Home

That’s right—the following pet poisons are very likely already found in your home. Fortunately for pet owners, it just takes a bit of awareness and precautionary measures to keep your four-legged friend safe! Here, your Happy Valley, OR veterinarian tells you more.

Poisonous Plant Life

There is a long list of potentially poisonous plants and flowers. Some of the more common offenders include lilies, elephant ear, ivy, oleander, tulips, daffodils, chrysanthemums, certain aloe plants, dieffenbachia, and the sago palm, among many others. Do some research online and consult with your veterinarian to find out about the most common toxic plants and flowers in your area, and take steps to remove them from your home immediately.

Pesticides and Rodenticides

Do you use pesticides or rodenticides in your home to get rid of insect or rodent intruders? Bear in mind that these products are poisonous, not only to the critters they’re made to kill but to our animal companions as well! Place pesticides with extreme caution; try to put them in areas where house pets won’t have access. You can also ask your vet about non-toxic alternative pest-control methods, such as traps.

Toxic Foods

Almost every kitchen contains at least a few foods that pets shouldn’t ingest. The list includes onions, garlic, chives, grapes, raisins, chocolate, candy, gum, avocado, salt, alcohol, caffeinated items, fatty foods, and more. Take care not to leave harmful foods out on countertops or tables where pets may be able to swipe them down. Instead, store such items where they belong: inside the refrigerator or a closed cabinet.

Human Medication

Various human medicines—aspirin, prescription pills, over-the-counter cold medicine, cough syrup, antidepressants—can poison a pet who swallows too much. Keeping pill bottles closed is not enough, as a pet with strong jaws may be able to chew through a child-proof plastic lid. Make sure you keep all medications stored safely in your medicine cabinet. Also be sure to keep your pet’s medications separate from your own; getting the two mixed up is not a good idea.

Cleaning Supplies

Everything from household disinfectants, floor cleaners, and furniture polish to bleach, glass cleaner, and air fresheners can harm a pet who manages to ingest them. Never leave cleaning supplies of any kind within reach of your pet.

Want more advice on keeping your pet safe from toxins in your home? Contact your Happy Valley, OR animal clinic today.

Comments are closed.

Website Designed & Developed by DVMelite | All Rights Reserved | Login

Facebook

YouTube